• Ê
  • Â

fErin has 6 post(s)

 Å

% Erin completed

 Å

% Erin completed

maternity_dress
low_museum : final documentation

This project on dynamic exhibition surely was a new challenge for me. First of all, I honestly couldn’t understand the objective of the project in the beginning. I did not know where I wanted to go with it and that confusion in the beginning went on for few days. However as I continued researching about the object and got really engaged with the problematic situation of how the object is displayed in the RISD Museum, I started to make my way through the project. As previously an artist and presently a designer, it helped to be easily annoyed by the poorly displayed exhibition. Then I was able to become intimate with the object and come up with several dynamic ideas to make it better.

What was so hard about this project was that there were several major restraints to follow, such as to only pick from 20th century gallery, and to stay within the boundary of the museum space while coming up with ideas of dynamic exhibition. Also I wasn’t very excited about working on a project that I wouldn’t be able to have the actual final form in my hand. However, now that I’m done with the project, and even during the process, I was able to understand some aspects of the project that actually helped. For instance, how all different kinds of art was stuffed in a single room for the 20th century collection definitely made it easier to point out what’s so bad about it. Also since I didn’t have to limit myself to solutions that are 100% feasible, I was able push myself to think more broadly than I would usually do for print designs. Overall, this project was new in both good way and unpleasant way. It was too separate from the things that we’ve been doing and I’ve been expecting, that I feel like it wasn’t very successful. But it definitely was a project that I required me to think deep and get engaged with the dynamic interactions that happen out there in real life.

 Å

% Erin completed

IMG_9275
low_site : final documentation (map included)

The pdf includes every steps I took for the site project, from mapping to photographic documentation of final alteration.

 Å

% Erin completed

final from Erin Cho on Vimeo.

password: erincho

For me, getting to know about Christina and her background was most important and prior to anything else to start this project. I went over to Christina’s room and simply began talking with her about random stuff, which was actually very helpful. Just by seeing her displays of little toys and patterns on the wall, I was able to catch a general idea of what my video will look like, and from our random conversation, I learned a lot about her background, family, and her story of coming to RISD. She told me a lot about her illustration works from high school, which helped me to understand her approaches to the projects that she had done so far. So then I went on to ask about her interest as a designer and more about her works. I kept the voice recording on during the talk so that I wouldn’t miss anything important said in her natural tone. As Christina went on talking, I was able to understand her state as a student in the process of learning and absorbing new things. Then I decided to focus more on introducing Christina purely as she is by showing what she chose to show me to introduce herself to me. From then, with several recordings of her talking about general thoughts about design, I asked her to explain more in depth about some of the things, such as her book projects and her interest in patterns. When I began editing and putting videos and audios together, I had things all over the place without any specific order. It became harder the more I worked on it because I couldn’t look at my work with third person point of view. After the first crit, I had to go back and rearrange the order of some parts, which made whole lot more sense in the overall flow. When I was done editing the things that I had, I noticed that the video was missing something that links every other parts together as a whole, so I did one last interview with Christina with a white background. This interview was very useful and probably it was the most important part of the whole video where she gave her concluding statement. Also I could effectively use the video shots from this interview, in which she was looking and talking right at the camera, since the video and audio were separate from each other in all the other parts of the film.

When I first was assigned this project, I felt uneasy with this kind of collaboration project which requires a high interaction with one person. However I was very lucky to have been paired with Christina who was really understanding and thanks to her, I could feel comfortable talking about myself in front of the camera and the audio recording. Through several interviews, it was a great chance for me to go over what I have done so far and take time to think about what I am aiming for in the future as a graphic designer. Especially looking at how Christina combined and showed my works, I could see that I also had my own stylistic approach to art and design, which I wasn’t very aware of before. The project, overall, was not a very easy one, having to work with equipment and programs that I’m not very used to. However it was a great opportunity to get to know about my classmate, at least try out the new technical materials, and especially to experience what it is like to be a subject of one whole video.